All New Pastel Class!
- Workshop only : $620
- Including meals and lodging : $1160
- All classroom supplies provided!
Here is an exciting new workshop in PASTELS by UK pastel artist Alison Burchert. This workshop is non-intimidating with both the novice and veteran artist in mind!
In this 4-day workshop, Alison will teach you the techniques of creating a full-color photorealistic Leopard in pastels as seen in one of her paintings here.
Class is limited to 10 and will be filled on a first-come, first-served basis.
- You will create a pastel portrait similar to the one displayed and bring it to completion, or at least near-completion.
- Over 30 hours of instruction and studio time over 4 days
- You will experience the charm of Blair, SC nestled in the Sumter National forest.
- Those staying on-site will have a private room and bath just a few steps away from the studio.
- Those staying on-site will enjoy 3 home cooked meals a day in the company of new friends.
- You will leave a better artist than when you arrived. Guaranteed!
Day 1 - 3
What you will learn
Using a trace-down method, you will be creating the basic outline and features of the leopard portrait.
They will have a clear reference photo to follow.
All materials will be provided for the duration of the course. They just need to bring their enthusiasm!
• Correct soft chalk pastel application and blending
• Which pastels are best for the job
• How to mix all the colours needed with a limited palette
• How to get the best out of the pastel paper used
• Create rich and deep underpainting
• Learn scalpel skills to sharpen pastel pencils for a fine point, every time
• Create fine, rich detail detail in pastels
• Eliminate the need to use any grey, green or brown chalks or pencils
• Many unique Pastel techniques
• How to create photorealism within their portrait
• How to apply fixative correctly
They will also get...
Concise instruction and explanations at every stage of the portrait
Worksheets that cover the methods used
Alison Burchert is a renowned pastel artist in the UK with a very special talent. All of her portraits of animals or people have been painted in pastel by using a very limited palette. Without using any brown, grey or green chalk, she mixes a variation of primary colors and those you’ll find in a printer (cyan, yellow, magenta and black) to produce outstanding, lifelike and realistic works of art. Using soft pastel chalk for the underpainting and carbothello pastel pencils for the detail, Alison’s unique color management has also been delivered to hundreds of students under her mesmerizing tuition. Being the resident artist at Colchester Zoo, Alison was able to study many aspects of the wildlife there, in particular, the big cats. The Leopard painting is just one of the magnificent animals that have been painted and also the latest one in Alison’s collection.
Need transportation to and from the airport? Sign up for our free shuttle service.
On-site accommodations are available:
- Picturesque rural setting in the Sumter National Forest
- Private rooms with queen-sized beds and full in-suite bathrooms
- Chef's menu of home-cooked meals prepared and served daily
- Fully stocked art studio, all class materials and reference included
- Color-corrected lighting (over 120 fluorescent tubes)