NEW! Tattoo Workshop with UK Tattoo veteran Michael Rose!
This course is intended for anyone looking to learn and practice the art of tattooing. This is the best place to see what it is all about and see if it is right for you. We will be working in a professional environment with a licensed/registered tattoo artist. You will learn everything you need to know to stand out from the crowd should you decided to seek an apprenticeship. Becoming a tattoo artist is a way of life and shouldn’t be taken lightly. You can do great harm if not properly and fully trained. This isn’t something you should tackle on your own or by watching videos online. Taking this primer course will give you an opportunity to work one- on-one with a master artist, gain insight as to what it really means to be a tattoo artist and receive answers to all the questions you have been dying to ask.
NO tattooing of real human skin will take place during this course. Instead, sheets of tattoo practice skin will be used, which are perfect for mastering your tattoo design before attempting work on real skin.
Students will learn about set-up, hygiene, machines (liners, shaders, color packers, coils vs rotary), power supplies and voltages, inks and how to use each type correctly, needle sizes and tapers, needle depth and more. You'll need a notebook for this part, because there is LOTS to cover.
Over the 4 days you will learn and practice the following:
- Mike's personal journey as a tattoo artist and pitfalls to avoid
- What equipment to buy and what to avoid, and why choosing the right equipment is important
- Working creatively with the client's ideas and how to turn them into reality.
- The importance of highly developed drawing skills and building a portfolio
- How to focus on your reference material and choose the right images.
- How to make the design fit and flow with the chosen placement.
- Different ways to make and apply a stencil
- How to avoid cross contamination from various lotions
- Water Shading: How to mix black tattoo ink to achieve different values for shading
- Color Theory: Applying basic color theory to make your tattoos/art stand out
- Establishing good techniques and practices from the start.
- Significance of taking your time: Why you should not rush.
- Why its important to choose a good camera.
- Safe aftercare methods to heal a fresh tattoo will be explained.
Mike will also talk about other subjects such as:
- Social media: And how this can and cant work for you.
- Networking: This subject is often over looked, I will explain why it is important
- Presentation: The importance of your portfolio.
- Sterilization of all tattoo equipment and Hygienic procedures
- Records: why its important to keep sterilization procedure recorded.
- Public liability/treatment risk insurance
This class isn’t only about creating tattoos, it is about helping you pursue your dreams, We want to know about you and what draws you tattooing, We want to know what goals you have. We want to know what your questions are, be they technical, ethical, or centering on creativity.
You will be given the chance to purchase equipment from approved manufacturers and tattoo equipment suppliers at the end of the class. However, this workshop will not earn you a license, nor should you start begin tattooing people as a result of this primer course. It will prepare you to take the testing to obtain your license and give you knowledge that will be invaluable if you seek out further training and a career in the art of tattooing.
Putting it all into practice: pre-select a design for your practice skin. Demonstrations will be held during different stages with hands-on practice. At the end of the course Mike will answer questions and give individual feedback.
Every artist has his or hers own methods and tricks, and Mike will share his own to help you get a jump start towards a solid understanding and technique.
Class is limited to 13 and will be filled on a first-come, first-served basis.
Optional: Purchase your class tattoo kit to take it home with you!
- 1 Liner Rotary
- 1 Shader Rotary
- 1 Mini Power Supply
- 1 Black Foot switch
- 1 6ft Black Clip cord
- Tattoo Needles
- Practice Skin
Purchase the kit at time of enrollment and save $100
Enrollment special price $200
Purchased at class $300
No Kit purchase necessary to participate in class.
Need transportation to and from the Charlotte, NC airport? Sign up for our free shuttle service.
Not sure which airbrushing class is right for you? Read "Help me Choose".
On-site accommodations are available:
- Picturesque rural setting on the bordering Sumter National Forest
- Private rooms with queen-sized beds and full in-suite bathrooms
- Meals prepared and served daily
- All class materials and reference included