Rather than simply list the tools I use, I thought it more helpful to explain WHY I choose this equipment.
I prefer the CM-SBv1 compared to the newer CM-SBv2, because it doesn't have the tall square trigger. But even more importantly, the older version 1 has a slightly smoother trigger operation, in part due to its free-floating auxillary lever behnd the trigger.
Here is why the side cup is preferred over top-mounted cups in general:
- Shorter distance from trigger to nozzle
- Comes with a smaller .18mm nozzle
- Less paint required to prime compared to C models,
- Side cup does not interfere with line of sight,
- Side cup can be removed for easy cleaning.
- Side cup tilts to avoid spills,
- Side cup does not collide with finger tip when trigger is placed on the first joint of the index finger.
- The Blair SoftSpring is the softest in the industry (and the first)
- The Low Rider trigger uses a different set of more-coordinated muscles than the tall trigger requires.
- The Low Rider Trigger head is perfectly shaped and angled for optimal trigger control
- The Low Rider has a shorter throw, is more precise, and creates less finger fatigue.
- The Teflon O-ring that comes stock is solvent proof, but it also leaks for water based paints, and has more friction. If you don't spray solvents, then you don't need it.
- Designed to spray straight out of the bottle
- Delayed Crosslinking allows for longer manipulation of paint
- Broad range of lightfast colors
- Automotive grade pigments
- Smooth surface can tolerate scratching with the blade
- Works well with an eraser
- Can be printed on with common ink jet printers
- Paper is double-sided
- Canvas is the smoothest I've ever seen.
- Perfect for blending
- Faber Castell creates subtlety
- Antique Erasers can cut through paint like a blade
Blades: #11 Techni Edge blades and handle
- #11 blade does not flex
- Blades create finer lines than the airbrush
Dowel: Texturing Dowel custom shaped made from white oak
- White Oak, is a perfect balance between Red Oak and Poplar
- Dowel behaves like a blade, but is much easer to hold and control
- The dowel is my little friend
Lube for airbrush: None. Ever. Not needed.
Compressor 2-stage Kobalt 60 gallon
- Super reliable
- Remotely located and inaudible.
- Large storage tank means less frequent cycling
- Long service life
Silent Compressor Silentair Supersilent 20-A
- Actually silent, whereas other brands claim to be quiet.
- Light enough to carry anywhere